If you plan on doing any changes to your house or property, please review the following for guidelines on the requirements for these projects. Send a letter (it does not need to be a registered letter) of request to the Board of Trustees describing your project with a sketch or formal plan for the project(s). If you don’t get a reply within ten (10) days, please call the VOLHA voicemail or email the Board of Trustees asking for an update.
ALL PROPERTY ADDITIONS MUST HAVE VILLAGES OF LAKESIDE BOARD OF TRUSTEES’ APPROVAL AND OLMSTED TOWNSHIP PERMITS / APPROVAL PRIOR TO BUILDING OR INSTALLING.
Home additions / sunrooms: All building additions and sunrooms must have prior approval by the Board of Trustees and the Olmsted Township Building Department. Send a small copy of the building blueprints to the Board of Trustees for approval and home files.
Fences: All fences must have prior approval and premarked installation inside your property line. Any fencing installed outside your property line must be moved immediately at the homeowner’s expense. Send a topographical sketch of your fencing plans and a picture of your proposed fencing to the Board of Trustees.
Guidelines for fencing:
- Fencing may be wood, vinyl or metal.
- Color must be prior-approved and coordinate with the house color scheme.
- Fencing may not exceed four (4) feet in height unless a swimming pool is inside the rear yard grounds (or will be installed) and then the maximum height will be five (5) feet.
- Fencing must allow 25% visual see-through meaning four (4) inch boards must have at least a one (1) inch gap from a front view.
- Fencing must be maintained continuously for cosmetic appeal and structural safety.
Sheds / Gazebos / Saunas / Tiki Huts / Roofed Outbuildings: Only one additional structure is permitted on your lot. Sheds and gazebos must have prior approval of plan design, location, building materials and color. A variety of shed styles can be installed with Board of Trustees approval. Olmsted Township requires permits prior to installation of sheds. Send a topographical sketch of your building plans and a picture of your proposed building to the Board of Trustees.
- Sheds, gazebos or outbuildings must be built on concrete slabs or one inch limestone, sitting on treated 4×4’s.
- All sheds, gazebos or outbuildings must be anchored with four (4) or more approved anchors during installation.
- Shed, gazebo or outbuilding maximum size is twelve (12) feet by sixteen (16) feet, and must not exceed thirteen (13) feet in peak height. The maximum size is the floor and ceiling coverage space. Designs with a small porch area must be within the twelve by sixteen (12 x 16) floor space. Olmsted Township requirements limit your shed to one percent (1%) of your total lot size, which may reduce your shed, gazebo or outbuilding size even further.
- Sheds, gazebos or other outbuildings must be painted, stained or sided to coordinate with your house colors.
- Sheds must be located a minimum of five (5) feet from your property line in the backyard, along the rear property line. Gazebos, saunas and other buildings can be installed closer to the house with prior Board of Trustees approval.
- If you are adding electric lighting or power to your shed, gazebo or outbuilding, you must build the structure to meet or exceed Olmsted Township specifications and the structure must also be approved during the building process of your structure. Minimum depth of buried wire running to the structure must be shown to the Olmsted Township Building Inspector(s).
- Windows and skylights are recommended to reduce cost and fire risks.
Decks / Patios: All replacement and newly-constructed decks and patios must have Board of Trustees approval of design, size, location, building materials and color prior to installation. Send a topographical sketch of your deck or patio plans and a picture of your proposed decking design to the Board of Trustees. Plans must also be approved by the Olmsted Township Building Department.
Swimming Pools: All replacement and new pools must have Board of Trustees approval prior to installation. Send a topographical sketch of your swimming pool plans and a picture of your proposed pool to the Board of Trustees.
Swimming Pool Guidelines:
- Swimming pools can be either in-ground or above-ground pools.
- All swimming pools must meet State of Ohio and Olmsted Township minimum safety guidelines at all times. This includes five (5) foot fencing requirements around the yard or pool itself.
- All swimming pools must be a minimum of five to six (5-6) feet from your property line, and have approved electrical installation for pumps, filters and heaters.
- All swimming pools must be properly maintained, safe and functional. Any swimming pools which are not maintained must be corrected or removed within a reasonable period of time. Any pool which becomes an eyesore and/or health hazard must be corrected immediately at the homeowner’s expense.
Driveway Extensions / Sidewalks: All add-on driveway extensions and sidewalks must be preapproved prior to installation. Send a topographical sketch of your project plans to the Board of Trustees. Any driveway extensions which expand over an existing sidewalk will require the removal and replacement of that sidewalk section (now part of the new driveway extension) due to the weight of vehicles on your new driveway.